Wednesday, June 26, 2013
DBA Home » PTAC Home » Getting Started

Getting Started

Thinking about getting started in government contracting?

1. Obtain a DUNS number

A free DUNS number from Dun and Bradstreet is required for most government contacts. To get your DUNS number call 1-866-705-5711 or visit Dun and Bradstreet's website.

2. Register on

Most government contracts require that you be registered in the Central Contractor Registration Database (CCR). Registration is free and will take just a few minutes, but a DUNS number is required. You can download a CCR worksheet by clicking here, or you can go directly to to start the registration process.

3. Find Contract Opportunities

There are many ways to find government contracts but the most and easiest way has been to sign up for the free Bid Match service UPTAC provides. A procurement specialist will help you with this service. The UPTAC Bid Match program automatically sends you free daily bid leads from about 15 federal, state, and local websites such as or the Procurement Gateway. It is a great way to keep you on top of government bidding.

4. Prepare and Submit the bid

Submitting the bid can is often time consuming, but attention to detail is critical. Workshops on “Winning Successful Proposals” are taught by the Utah Procurement Technical Assistance Center, and statewide counselors are available to provide one-on-one assistance.